Sunday 12 July 2015

Seared Whiting

After watching several episodes of Master Chef Junior, I am totally inspired by those children skills in culinary. I wish I can be creative like them. To be honest, cooking is not really my 'thing'. I always have a hard time in deciding what dishes I should cook for the dinner.

Whenever I have less time for preparing dinner, I usually opt for grilled or baked dishes. They are quicker and easy to prepare compared to soup, stew etc. Tonight main dish was Seared Whiting. This is the first type I did a seared dish. Whiting is a type of fish that commonly found in UK and Ireland markets. I never heard whiting in Malaysia before this. Anyway, you can always use any type of fish you like for this kind of dishes (I hope).

Searing (or pan searing) is a technique used in grilling, baking, braising, roasting, sauteing, etc., in which the surface of the food (usually meat, poultry or fish) is cooked at high temperature until a caramelized crust forms.


Recipe

Serving size: 1 person

Half of whiting fish (remove the bone and scales)
A pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon of chili flakes
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of fresh chopped parsley (dried parsley would do if you don't have fresh parsley)
Cooking oil
Non-stick pan

Lettuce, cherry tomatoes
Mayonnaise with chili flavour or salad dressing


Methods:

1. Season the fish with salt, black pepper, chili flakes, lemon juice. Rest the fish for 10-15 minute to allow the seasoning absorbed by the fish.

2. Heat up the pan and grease the pan with cooking oil. Put the fish on the pan once the pan is hot enough.

3. Sear the fish until the fish crust become brownish and reduce the temperature to finish cooking.

4. Serve the fish once it is cooked  with lettuces, tomatoes, and mayonnaise (I like the fish to be fully cooked). Sprinkle the chopped parsley on top of the fish.

You can also serve the fish with mashed potatoes and gravy or boiled rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment